1. Declutter before you buy
- You want to make sure that you know everything you have to organize before going to buy organizing products. If you look at a cluttered space and say "i'll go buy some bins to fix this", it's not going to work. You need to declutter and then see all the items you have. After this you can create a plan of where you would like items to go and what space you have to fit organizing products.
2. Measure shelves/areas you want to put products in
-You need to know what space you actually have to fit organizing products in. Measure your shelves to see how deep, wide, and high they are. This will help you to pick the correct bins that will correctly fit in your shelves. As well as helping you to use the space to it's maximum capacity.
3. Create categories/specific spaces for items you have
-You don't have to organize these items all right now. But you should have a vision of where you want things in your home. Such as food categories in the pantry;
Making these categories in advance can help you choose which organizing products will work. Such as needing a big bins for snacks, or a smaller bin for baking items.
4. Look for inspiration online
-You can search on google or any social media for organizing inspiration. Simply search the space in your home your are organizing and you will find hundreds or organizing ideas!
5. Search for products online or in shops
-I always prefer to look on Amazon initially, since they have a bigger selection and more affordable products. If you need products asap then I reccomend the Dollar Tree, Walmart, or Target. Depending on your budget. Or if you have The Container Store nearby they usually have any organizing product you could dream of!
6. Feel free to buy multiple types of products or brands
-This way you can see which you like more and what will work in your space. You can usually always return the ones that don't work!
Reach out if you need any more ideas or tips for buying organizing products! I offer in-home organization in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. I offer free consultations and virtual organizing to anyone in the United States!
-Addison Peters, LiveOrganized Owner